Over the past week a number of players have been signed to amateur tryout contracts (ATO), here’s the current list of players:
- Mike Kostka (D) – A free agent signing of the Sabres, he joins the Amerks after a four-year collegiate career with the University of Massachusetts-Amherst. A native of Ajax, Ontario, Kostka registered 53 points (15+38) and 74 penalty minutes (PIM) in 143 games for the Minutemen. The team captain notched a career high 21 points (9+12) while appearing in every game on the blueline during his senior year at UMass.
- Luke Beaverson – He’s a Florida 9th round draft pick that has played the last 4 years at the Univeristy of Alaska-Anchorage. He is another big defenseman at 6’5″ 227lbs.
- Tommy Goebel (F) – A short 5′ 7″ tall and 166lbs, he’s the smallest player on the ice and can’t be missed. In three games played already for the Amerks he has scored one goal and three assists. He is very fast on the ice with great hands, as long he doesn’t get pushed all over the ice. He just completed his second season at Ohio State University, where he transferred after playing two seasons with the Michigan State Spartans. The right-handed forward earned a total of 115 points (54+61) in his collegiate career. Goebel led OSU with 36 points (21+15) in the 2007-08 season. Prior to college, Goebel played four seasons with the NAHL Cleveland Barons.
- Paul Baier (D) – He has already played in two games for the Amerks and recorded one assist.Â He recently finished his college career as a defenseman at Brown University. The 6-foot-4, 225-pound native of Rhode Island collected 28 points (5+23) in his 126 appearances with the Bears. Baier was selected by Los Angeles Kings in the third round (95th overall) of the 2004 NHL Entry Draft.
- Johann Kroll (D) – Kroll also joins Rochester after a college career with OSU. The 24-year-old defenseman earned 27 points (5+22) in his four years with the Buckeyes. The Plymouth, Minnesota, native spent two years prior to college playing with the Sioux City Musketeers in the USHL. Kroll garnered 39 points (9+30) in his 104 games with the Musketeers.
The Amerks roster may also see forward Derek Whitmore, originally from Greece,Â who is close to signing an entry level contract with the Sabres. The 5-foot-10, 189-pound Whitmore led Bowling Green in scoring with 27 goals, 10 assists and 37 points in 38 games.
These players take the place of players who have been reassigned by there parent teams.
Peter Aston was reassigned to the Florida Everblades to join that team in there ECHL playoff push. We expect Franklin MacDonald and Jordan Henry to also be sent down soon.
Andrej Sekera and Mike Weber are still assigned to the Sabres have been playing great defense. Mike Funk was returned a few days ago to the Amerks.
The Amerks are at home tonight (Wednesday) at Blue Cross Arena against the Manitoba Moose, the two teams play again on Friday night.