Here’s a list of injuries to players that impacted the 2011-2012 Rochester Americans season.
(Last updated: End of 2011/2012 Season)
- Shaone Morrisonn missed the first two games of the first round of the playoffs with an arm injury.
- Evan Rankin was cut on the leg in game two against Toronto and missed game three.
Notes on previous injuries:
- Drew Schiestel returned October 29, 2011 after he injured his MCL during the first game of the season on October 8th and missed eight games.
- Maxime Legault returned on November 4th after missing 10 games due to surgery over the summer on his shoulder.
- Paul Szczechura returned on November 4th after missing 10 games due to surgery on his knee in the off season. Â He had suffered an ACL injury in April 2011 during the playoffs with the Norfolk Admirals.
- Jacob Lagace returned November 18th after missing one game due to taking a shot off of his leg during practice.
- Jonathan Parker returned December 2, 2011 after missing three games due to a hand injury.
- Travis Turnbull was hit in the headÂ on November 11 (see it here) and did not return to the game after that. Â He returned to action on December 9th after missing 9 games due to the concussion.
- Dennis Persson finally returned on December 9th after being out since the first week of the season. Â He had been hit in the ankle during practice and went on to miss 22 games.
- TJ Brennan returned to action on December 10th after missing four games due to an “upper body injury” as reported by the Amerks but connecting the dots it’s 99% certain it was a concussion.
- Joe Finley was injured on December 16th against San Antonio and missed two games. Undisclosed injury.
- Paul Szczechura sat out the December 28th as being “banged up” after blocking a shot in Oklahoma City. He only missed one game.
- Shaone Morrisonn was injured on December 17th against the Texas Stars with an undisclosed injury and returned January 6, 2012 after missing four games.
- Igor Gongalsky collided knee to knee with Jacob MicFlikier of the Hershey Bears on January 8, 2012. Â He returned on January 19, 2012 after missing two games.
- Michael Ryan missed 43 games between October 14, 2011 and February 8, 2012. Â He finally returned against the Toronto Marlies for the 11am kids day skate. Â The actual injury is still unknown, possibly even unknown to him and the doctors. Â Vertigo? Â Nasal issues? Â Soft neck tissue? Â Concussion? Â Spine issues? Â Any of those are possible. Â Â It was first related to headaches but a concussion was supposedly ruled out pretty quick. Â He was supposed to have returned Thanksgiving weekend but the doctors didn’t clear him. Ryan was again expected to return on January 19th but again the doctors didn’t clear him.
- Corey Tropp played on January 8, 2012 against the Hershey Bears and then went out with concussion or concussion symptons. Â He returned to the lineup February 8th after missing 10 games.
- Colin Stuart was injured December 17, 2011 while on recall to the Buffalo Sabres. Â Assuming he would’ve been sent down around that time he would’ve missed 18 games with the Amerks.
- Igor Gongalsky suffered a lower body injury against the Toronto Marlies on February 8th and missed two games.
- Alex Biega injured his wrist on February 2, 2012 against the Abbotsford Heat and returned February 17th after missing five games.
- Joe Finley played on February 4, 2012 against the Syracuse Crunch and went on to miss six games with a lower body injury. Â He returned February 22nd.
- Evan Rankin was hit in the head on December 27 and fell to the ice hard with a concussion. Â He missed 23 games and returned February 24, 2012.
- Matt MacKenzie suffered a deep cut on his leg above the knee on December 3rd against the Hamilton Bulldogs and missed 34 games with the Amerks. Â Rolston told Rob Sanderson of Drop The Puck, “Probably going to be a lot of healing..a lot of rehab. It’s going to be a while.” Â MacKenzie had been in a full leg cast due to the cut, that’ll tell you how deep and severe it was. Â Click here for an update on his injuryÂ and how it happened. Â He was cleared to play on February 28 and was sent to the Gwinnett Gladiators.
- Igor Gongalsky was hit in the eye with a high stick on March 3 vs the Toronto Marlies and missed two games returning March 10.
- Jacob Lagace missed five gamesÂ due to aÂ wrist injury in the game against the Lake Erie Monsters on February 25, 2012 and returned on March 16, 2012.
- Shaone Morrisonn missed two games at the end of the season with an arm injury.
- Michael Ryan was apparently injured on February 18 against the Lake Erie Monsters and did not return for the rest of the season. He was healthy towards the end of March but was not used in the lineup.
** These reports are all confirmed by the Rochester Americans.